Honeycomb-like activated carbon is a new type of absorption material made by high quality powder activated carbon and binder. Honeycomb carbon block has a large amount of through holes from one end to another end in a cubic or cylindrical shaped block. Honeycomb carbon filter is a type of high effective carbon filter to remove unpleasant odors, particulates and other pollutants.
This kind of structure gives low pressure drop, high mechanical strength and more contact surface with gas. Honeycomb carbon block is mainly used for vapor phase pollutants removal. Now it is widely use for air purification system which is high flow rate, low-concentration VOC pollutant air streams
Consider the following features and advantages of using Honeycomb carbon block over traditional pellet and granular activated carbons:
1. The honeycomb structure has a pore size range of 10-2,000 Angstroms and a BET surface area range of ~200-3,000 sq.m/gm!
2. The honeycomb carbon block is desorbed with liquid ring vacuum pumps and a small quantity of heated condensation compound free air – the adsorbed compounds are stripped!
3. The pressure drop at a given linear gas velocity for Honeycomb carbon block containing 200 cpsi (cells per square inch) is 11 times lower than densely packed 4mm pellet extruded activated carbon!
4. Honeycomb structures may be pressed into cubes, round cylinders, oval, square and rectangular cylinders!
5. The shorter distances for internal diffusion mass transfer for honeycomb carbon leads to faster saturation and desorption rates and thus shorter cycle times!
6. Honeycomb adsorbent can be purged of fuel compounds and solvents using a vacuum above 100 mbar!
7. Honeycomb carbon has a much higher specific surface area compared to other carbon structures!
8. Honeycomb carbon block has a lower level of carbon attrition and dust-related problems due to carbon attrition are minimized!
9. Honeycomb carbon block is available in 100, 200, 300 or 400 cpsi!
10. Honeycomb block carbon is only 15% more expensive than 4mm pellets and has 3 times the surface area for adsorption!!
11. The honeycomb shape core mesh can be paperboard, plastic and aluminum material. The paperboard core mesh is the most economical products, but it is not reusable. The plastic and aluminum honeycomb core meshes are reusable and durable.
12. Honeycomb shape could be cubes, round cylinders, oval, square and rectangular cylinders.
13. Honeycomb carbon has a higher external surface area of adsorbent compare to granular carbon，it has 2X bigger contact areas for adsorption if using 100 CPSI, 4X if using 300 CPSI honeycomb.
The Applications Of Honeycomb Activated Carbon
Activated carbon is able to remove undesirable or harmful gaseous components from air streams. The molecules collect on the relatively large internal surfaces of the honeycomb. These honeycombs are also used for absorbing odour molecules. Put granular activate carbon into the honeycomb shape core mesh, and then cover the polypropylene grid mesh on it. Surrounded by the paperboard, plastic, aluminum or galvanized frames, the honeycomb carbon filter has a rigid and firm structure. The granular activated carbon can be coconut shell activated carbon, wood activated carbon and coal activated carbons. The shapes of activated carbon is commonly irregular and column shapes.
The pollutants can be removed by honeycomb activated carbon: benzene, carbon tetrachloride, acetone, ethanol, aether, carbinol, acetic acid, ethyl ester, cinnamene, chlorine, phosgene, foul gas, butane, methanol, styrene, malodorous gases and other acids can be used to remove carbon monoxide, carbon monoxide, carbon tetrachloride, benzene, formaldehyde, Alkaline gas.